West Cambridgeshire 1935

Cambridge District Scout Archive

On 5th June 1935 Cambridge District split into four Districts. It had been working as three sub districts for a year before the split.

The West Cambridgeshire District was a short lived division with four Groups drawn from Cambridge and South Cambs sub districts.
Geographically ‘West Cambridge is a line between the Cambridge to Huntingdon Road on the north, to the Cambridge to Barton Road on the South West’

Four Groups:

  • 39th Cambridge Madingley                                                     10558
  • 62nd Cambridge Grantchester                                                15889
  • 50th Cambridge Papworth Everard                                         (unregistered)
  • 17th Cambridge District Barton                                              7579

This District appears to have effectively disappeared very soon after formation. Three of the Groups ceased and the fourth, 17th Cambridge District (Barton), was reabsorbed into South Cambs. It is not mentioned in 1935 and is recalled by W T Thurbon in ‘Archaeology’ but not Ken North in ’70 years’. 

P Edwards is listed as DC in 1941

Later groups are registered as West Cambridge, 2nd Bassingbourne in 1948 has been identified.

It was not formally closed by County or IHQ and in 1960 was nominally managed by Professor Patrick Duff, County Secretary, although it contained no groups or DC. When Papworth Everard proposed reforming in 1960 it came back from Gilwell as being in West Cambridge, to the surprise of Professor Duff.

JWR Archivist Mar 2019