Mid Cambridgeshire/ Mid Cambs.
Cambridge District Scout Archive
On 5th June 1935 Cambridge District split into four Districts. It had been working as three sub districts for a year before the split. The apparently late addition of West Cambridge moved some groups from Cambridge and South Cambridge. North Cambridge was renamed East Cambridge and then quickly became Mid Cambridgeshire.
The records of North Cambridge, later East Cambridge, later Mid Cambridgeshire have not come down to the current Cambridge District Scout Archives in full. Because it was re absorbed during WW2 some early and late information is available. Some peripheral information has been gathered from The Scouter and around the very early years of the division.
This use of the name East Cambridge predates the amalgamation of Huntingdonshire and Cambridgeshire in 1977. They do not cover the same geographical area.
The name changed even on the original Form A – B registration. In 1934 the District ‘Cambridge’ was divided into three administrative sub districts designated Cambridge, North Cambridge, and South Cambridge in 1934. In 1935 the areas were made into four separate Districts: Cambridge, West Cambridge (which quickly faded) South Cambridge and East Cambridge which had been called North Cambridge. East Cambridge later became Mid Cambs.
North Cambridge (1934) = East Cambridge (1935) = Mid Cambridgeshire (1935)
A previous division of Cambridge into the administrative sub divisions North, East, South West, had occurred in the 1920’s. Details are unclear.
Geographically the District in 1935 was
Southern limit – Cambridge, Linton Road, junction with the London Newmarket Road at cross roads two miles north of Abington: Eastern limit Devils Ditch, junction with Newmarket Road : Northern Limit Bounded by Ely District (the old west river) : Western Limit – River Ouse, boundary Fen Drayton along Huntingdon Road to Cambridge
Eight Groups 1935
|16459||Swaffham Bulbeck||67th Cambridge|
|7564||Littleton House School||16th Cambridge|
|Bottisham Village College (was Bottisham + Wilbraham)||X||X||X|
|Cottenham Did not exist at transfer in 1935||X||X|
|Fen Ditton Did not exist at transfer|
|Impington Village College (Was Histon)||X|
|Littleton House School||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Wilbraham (Great & Little)||X||X|
The transfer but lack of census return for Milton in 1935 is an anomaly.
DC in 1941 was A J Parr
JWR Archivist Feb 2023