Vermand

Cambridge District Scout Archive

Following the Armistice the ‘British League of Help for the Devastated Areas of France’ encouraged the adoption of areas by British Towns.  This organisation was founded in London on 30 June 1920, largely due to the efforts of Lady Bathurst. It agreed an intention not to rebuild the devastated areas, for funds for that were to come from the French Government and reparations paid by Germany, but to provide practical help.  By 1922 ninety seven associations were reported.

Vermand was ‘adopted’ by the Borough of Cambridge following the Great War and in 1921 the Cambridge District Scouts were involved in fund raising. The invitation, in the District Archives, assumes knowledge of the involvement. 

Vermand is a small French commune to the west of Saint-Quentin in the Aisne department in Hauts-de-France in northern France.  Vermand was on the front line and generally in German held territory and the village and countryside devastated.   

The reason for Cambridge supporting this particular commune is unclear.   A small communal cemetery was used for 40 Commonwealth dead but none of these are recognisably associated with Cambridge. 

Saint Quentin – No pictures of Vermand commune are readily available.

JWR Archivist Apr 2019