(All Saints with St Philip’s) ( All Saint’s with St Andrew’s)
Cambridge District Scout Archive
Boys of 10 years and upward, who are not afraid of hard work and of the rain…
In November 1909 the All Saints Parish Magazine gives ‘A Patrol has come into existence in the last few weeks with its HQ at the Parish Rooms under the leadership of Mr. J P Howard of 19 Maldon St. “Boys of 10 years and upward, who are not afraid of hard work and of the rain…”‘
This report is largely taken from the All Saints Parish Magazine and the changes and additions in titles is not registered as events that alter the relationship between Church and Troop. The Troop is a point of pride and a Church initiative, not as in many magazines, just something that occupies space in the Parish Hall. Like many Churches they were discussing alternative Boy’s/ Men’s clubs and in October 1908 a Young Men’s Club was started which ran until at least 1911
They had 8 boys by Christmas and ‘It is hoped that by Christmas most of them will have procured the full equipment and will then be admitted in due form.’
Rev H R Bailey took over as SM in July 1910 and the troop was camping by August. It is suggested that they had18 Scouts, two patrols (Rams and Owls) and two hand carts by September and were procuring an air gun. The Troop Colours were ‘being worked for us by some of the lady well wishers.
Missioner, Cook and Poultry Farmer badges were achieved
1911 11 Scouts attended the Windsor Rally, of the 135 from Cambridge, and 26 camped under the new SM Mr. Master. The Troop participated in the dedication of the colours and were looking to buy a bugle – ‘All troops are to have at least one bugler’. The DC considered the 8th ‘On the whole a satisfactory Troop‘ in March 1912.
The role of SM altered from (poor) Percy J Master to W L Duthie of Trinity. Why ‘poor’ is unknown but the camp was postponed due to the ill health of the SM. By 1913 the SM was Mr. Morton and in October 1914 Lewis Bailey, until July 1915 when he was in Athens. Mr. Hattersley of Downing was SM at this date.
In 1914 the Troop moved into possession of a magnificent workshops in Sidney Street and took delivery of 1.5 tons of clay and made model aircraft. By December it was 45 strong. Also in 1914 the Troop started the magazine ‘The Tenderfoot’. In November it is reported that ‘The Wolf Cubs have at last been reorganized and placed under Mr. …’. This predates the official start date of 1916 but Packs were in existence in 1914.
See Wolf Cubs
The workshop was relinquished in July 1915 and they returned to the Parish Rooms and in April 1916 the Troop was ‘banished to the cellar’ with soldiers using the upper room.
In March 1916 they sent six Scouts as a band to Horseheath Troop Scout Entertainment to bolster the programme.
The Troop appear to have closed between July and September 1916, possibly the long University break. Dean of Queens’ (CT Wood, later DC and CC) was looking after the troop by November 1916 in Hattersley’s absence. The Troop may have closed at some point, the next reports we have are 1920 and the Troop had been renamed first All Saints with St Philip’s and by 1920 All Saints with St Andrew’s.
From Reveille! a single issue magazine of 1920 we have
8th (All Saints’ and St. Andrew’s). We are glad to see the revival of the 8th, under Mr. Kirkpatrick. Some Patrols from the neighbouring Parish of St. Andrew’s, are for the present working with the 8th.
The Troop camped at West Runton (possibly the 5th’s new site) in 1920 and 19 scouts camped at Winchester Park Farnham in 1921. In 1922 they went to France with University Rovers Mr. Philipps and Aswhin.
Another gap in the records until 1930 by which time the Troop had folded and the 8th was Harvey Goodwin School. The date of closure is not recorded, but the Parish magazine has no entries between the 1922 camp and December 1926 issue. In 1930 All Saints was restarted as the 29th Cambridge (All Saints). The Parish magazine did not use the District number to identify ‘its’ troop,
JWR Archivist Aug 2022