49th Cambridge (Six Mile Bottom): Outline History

Cambridge District Scout Archive

Six Mile Bottom is the only Scout Group to use the number and name 49th Cambridge.  They were not registered in the earlier system as ‘Cambridge District’ Troop.

1932 – 1934

Registered on 8th February 1932 with the IHQ number 13630 with one leader and eight Scouts it was based at Six Mile Bottom School.

  • Neville Ison                 St Catharine’s College Cambridge

is the only leaders name on the original document.  It was a ‘Closed’ Group Controlled by the Rector of Little Wilbraham, Rev L L Chaplin.

The Group sent in Census figures to Cambridge District

  • Scouts 1932 – 1933

The Group is listed as closed in 1934.   If it was reliant on transient leaders it was vulnerable to closure.  Neville Ison was not from a local family.

In 1935 the large Cambridge District split into four.  At this point all transferring Groups are lost to the core Cambridge District records.  However, the 49th Cambridge (Six Mile Bottom) is not listed as transferring to or in any of the new Districts.

The Group did receive a belated mention in 1949 but the context is lost.

JWR Archivist July 2022