Marksmanship

Cambridge District Scout Archive

Marksmanship was one of the first Scout activities.  It is as a sport that it is currently offered, shooting at numbered targets and never at living things or representations of living things (no, before you ask, not even Zombies or Aliens). 

It is difficult to untangle the target requirements of the first badges but the competitions were marked with a numerical score.  In the midst of WW1 the Scout Defence corps was formed to train some Scouts in anticipation of joining the armed forces.  This is not and has not been the function of Scouting for the vast majority of its existence. See separate page.

General Archives

1908    A marksmanship badge was available from 1908.

1911    In July the Duke of Connaught, President of the Boy Scout Association from 1913, offered the Connaught Banner as a prize for an Annual shooting competition.  By November this had become the Connaught Shield.  A Junior shield was introduced in 1925.

1913

Also in 1913 there was a rally in the grounds of Downing College; I recall seeing this and its grand finale “captured by redskins”, the captives being rescued amid a fusillade of blank cartridges. Interestingly, there was also on display a wireless transmitting and receiving apparatus set up by one of the Troops W T Thurbon Archaeology

1915    Scout Defence Corp and the Red Feather League were introduced to train with small arms for defence in this time of war.  This was the only period when the focus was on the martial element of shooting.  Members of this voluntary group had to be sixteen. 

1919 Competition for Donegal Medals were held in the District. Only two per troop and two competitions, over 15 and under 15.

1970’s


The Scouter

1999

The Connaught Shields, formerly Scouting’s Miniature Rifle (.22 inch rim fire) Trophies, are now the Grand Aggregate Trophies of the National Scout Air Rifle Competition

District Archive

1912    Rifle shooting was available in the district.  14th Cambridge entered the Imperial Shield competition of the National Rifle Association                   2nd annual Report

1918 Purchase of air gun for range                        District Minutes

1920  There will be a Shooting Competition (juniors and seniors) for the Donegal medals towards the end of January. The range is now managed by our old friend and former Secretary, Mr. Howard Mallett (39, Halifax Road). Scoutmasters taking a party to shoot must have a permit signed by the D.C. or D.S.M.‘      Reveille

1920 ‘…rifles removed for cleaning.   There was a great laxity in signing for ammunition.’                    District Minutes

1923-24 Association rifle range Kings Mill (The Granary)    Annual Report

1924  The rifle range was still operative     Ken North 70 Years

1928 – 1934                25th Cambridge    Babraham, Abington and Hildersham

This Troop ran from 1928 until about 1934 and the orders of the names vary in different sources.  Only five different Proficiency badges are recorded 12 Ambulanceman, 9 Pioneer, 7 Marksman, 3 Cyclist and 3 Farmer.  The Troop had a Duke of Connaught team of marksmen.  It is not known if this was local or national level competition.

1930      New air rifle range arranged by Rovers at Grafton Street. This frequently referenced range was for air rifles and lasted until 1934.

1931 Air Rifle range affiliated with SMRC (unknown abbreviation)

1931       ‘It was agreed to sell two rifles to Mr MacFarlane Grieve at 2/6.    …(and) to cancel the firearms certificate at present in the name of C T Wood’.  District Minutes. (See below)

1933      Miniature Rifle range at Grafton Street        District Minutes

1934      Rifle range closed                                           District Minutes

1934       The rifle range at Grafton Street Headquarters was closed and the equipment sold.  A later plan of Grafton Street does not clearly indicate where the rifle range was set up.  It is described as being used as the Equipment store (Scout shop) half way up the stairs.

1938    POR                 Ref. Duke of Connaught’s Shield is a competition open to Scouts

WW2   Duke of Connaught’s Shield was not held as a National competition during the war but Home Guard rifle ranges were made available for Scout use.

1950       An inventory was held of Association property and it was reported as ‘complete except for the Rifle Range’

1951        Target shooting with a .22 was recorded on a cruise on the Adventurer, the boat owned by the 12th Cambridge.

Note: Donegal Medals The Donegal Challenge Cup is to be open to winners of the Bronze Badges, which the National Rifle Association will present to rifle clubs, to be competed for as club committees may direct, the Challenge Cup being shot for at 200 and 600 yards: and other prizes are offered for rifle club teams at 200 and 500 yards, shooting individually and by teams.

I think this adds up to rifle clubs set a competition, the details of which are up to them.  The winners receive Bronze Badges and may enter for the Donegal Challenge Cup.

2019 Target shooting remains a sport offered by Scouting. Leaders are required to obtain a Nationally recognised qualification to act as Range Master and parents must sign to give permission for Scouts to participate.

These rifles are no longer Scout property. If they were still in existence at the 1938 Munich Crisis and 1939 declaration of war it is likely that they became property of the Local Defence Volunteers (later the Home Guard).

JWR Archivist Feb 2019