Cambridge District Scout Archive
Few Rover Scout Crew names have remained. Those that have are all from Cambridge District (see Structure/Sections/ Patrol Names in Cambridge). Other than the University College Crews, we have located Wolves and Wakes of the 30th and Wood Smoke of the 12th. It is of note that the name and the flag of the Wood Smoke Crew has been resurrected for the new Explorer Unit that has sprung from 12th Cambridge.
Venture Scout names
Venture Scouts ran from 1967 to 2003. Not having located a complete list this is a growing compellation of named Venture Scout Units in Cambridgeshire.
It is a review of the names taken. A list of Cambridge (North and South) VSU’s attached to groups, that is having a Group number, e.g. 14th Cambridge VSU, may be found in the VSU page.
|Sir John Cockcroft||1968 –||Cambridge South|
|Tithe||5th & 7th||1971 (8?) – 1997||Cambridge South||41636|
|Cam Valley||1975 – 1979||Cambridge North||41524|
|Mullard VSU||– 1993||Cambridge North||44752|
|Crafts Hill||1976 – 1981||Crafts Hill||41155|
|Bullocks Haste||1984||Crafts Hill||44433|
|Paddocks||199- 1995+||Crafts Hill||45401|
|South Cambs.||1976 + 1980 -1991||Granta||37922|
|Gog Magog swimming trophy||1988 – 1991||Cambridge North||45055|
|Bar Hill||1981||Crafts Hill|
|Hereward VSU||– 1991||(Peterborough)||44942|
|Hyperion VSU||– 1992||45231|
|Alpha VSU||– 1993||4525|
|Fen Runners VSU|
|1st Hereward VSU|
|Mepal VSU 16/10/1991 closed 1997||Cam /Ely||45448|
- The dates 1967 – or 1967 – 1981 are known dates of start or ending
- The dates 1980 are dates when they have been referenced.
- Districts in brackets assumed
- RA – VEN Committee of Ranger Guides and Ventures coordinating events for the two groups.
The names fall into a number of categories
- Numbers These are not listed here but where a VSU was attached to a Group. This tells of a strong Group and a strong wish to retain a group identity. Certainly the move was towards ‘District’ groups.
- Group names Evident in ‘village’ Groups such as Fulbourn and Whittlesey which stemming from a semidetached Group in a village were unlikely to pull Scouts from other areas.
- District names These VSU’s hold the name of a District: Ely, Hereward, Fitzwilliam, Crafts Hill, South Cambs. and Wisbech. Some uncertainty is raised with the listing of Hereward and 1st Hereward, the latter suggesting a Group name.
- Geomorphologic Based on a physical feature of the landscape, in a region without strong landmarks, they do not carry clear boundaries or historical regional pride. Rhee Valley, Cam Valley, Fen Heath, Crafts Hill. They overlap with physical features that have historic connections. Crafts Hill has now disappeared beneath the new build Bar Hill, but is a centre for a District that wraps around Cambridge.
- Historic names Gog Magog and Fleam are physical features but are given worth by the associated history. Bullocks Haste and Belsar are a connected pair, both being within the Crafts Hill District.
- Historic Individuals Bodica (however it was spelt), Hereward (the Wake)
- Humour Rhee Valley was founded at Bassingbourn Barracks and the VSL a serving member of the forces. He is described as having a sense of humour and the name has the secondary function of linking the Unit with the military (work it out).
- Individuals Sir John Cockcroft
- Mythological Gog Magog and Hyperion both stem from the Gods, although the name may have been taken from features that had previously taken their names.
- Mullard A strange category, Mullard Observatory is a man made physical feature in a gentle landscape, named after the company that funded the building of the radio telescopes. The VSU is not named for a person, or a company, or an industry but the very obvious landmark and the associated achievements of the facility. An equally obvious scrap yard would not have been considered.
- Tithe Both the 5th Perse and 7th County Schools were on land that was originally Tithe Farm
- Mercian This is possibly a local name for those from March. It was outside the borders of the Mercia Kingdom.
- Crofter(s) I have no idea
- Paddocks I have no idea
- Fen Runners
- Tower Not clear where this Unit came from
Explorer Scout Unit Names
Cambridge District Scout Archives
Cambridgeshire ESU names as of 2018 – present and past as located
|Shackleton Explorers||– 2018||Cambridge|
|Milton Mud Muppets||50th||Cambridge|
|Hitchhikers Whittlesford & Duxford||Cambridge|
|Cromwell St Ives||Cromwell|
|Nulli Secundi Sea Explorer (Second to none) St Ives||Cromwell|
|Wombat Orton Longuelle||Peterborough|
Where a very clear link to a Group is known it has been added. This is often geographical, as with W & D or 57th, or with an early association with the informal sponsor Group as 28th, but are not exclusive links except perhaps in the early phases.
The names fall into a number of categories
- Numbers Not used for Explorer Units in Cambridgeshire
- Group names Although many ESU’s are closely affiliated to Groups the names have not been used with the exceptions of Milton Mud Muppets and on the Peterborough District website which directly links the units to the Groups. Some names for the Peterborough Units attached to these Groups have been identified from old websites.
- District names Only Cromwell uses its District name.
- Morphological No local geographic features have been used. The mountains Everest and Kanchenjunga have been used.
- Historic names Reference to Fen Tiger from Ely, Stone cross both a location and an historical artefact. The reuse of Wood Smoke , the Rover Crew name from the 12th Cambridge, falls into this category. (See general History/ Equipment/ Flags…)
- Historic Individuals Only the inspirational Shackleton and Flamsteed have been used. Flamsteed, like the VSU Sir John Cockcroft, has a strong Cambridge link. Cromwell falls into this category by default.
- Individuals None
- Mythological Phoenix, Pegasus and Unicorn have been used; creatures, not as the VSU’s selected, Gods.
- Aspirational Alpha (see also Alpha VSU but no continuity) Nulli Secundi (Second to none)
- Fun Hitchhikers, Twisted Firelighters, Milton Mud Muppets
- Unknown Matrix, Avengers, (TV, Film references?) Four Feathers (Book ref?)
Mercian and Alpha are used by both Ventures and Explorers
JWR Archivist Mar 2019