Cambridge District Scout Archive
1940 5th Cambridge (Perse) ‘It was a cave in Lathkill Dale that we crawled on hands and knees deep into the bowels of the earth. There, the feeble candlelight served only to accentuate the oppressive darkness. In the other cave by Wolf’s Cote Dale, it was quite different. We climbed onwards and upwards guided by the flickering light of a candle upon the high and glistening walls.’
1982 28th Camabridge ‘Went caving and it was brilliant.’
It is difficult from the records to differentiate between reaching the top, a scramble over low rocks or scree and a roped climb. The term ‘climbed’ is used for all these stages and many of us have experienced an ascent as it eases imperceptibly into the second and what should be the third: usually with height. The differentiation in this 1922 summary is unusual.
1922. Summer: Wall-End Farm, Langdale, with ascents of ScaFell, etc., and rock-climb on Little Gully, Pavey Ark. 9th Cambridge The evidence is found in C T Woods photographs below. The 9th were early practioners.
Rocking climbing with ropes and belays was depicted in The Rover of 1934. Climbing with ropes and intent became increasingly discussed in Scouting during the 1940’s and Senior Scouts appeared climbing on the front cover of The Scouter in 1944. World War 2 led to the availability of inexpensive army surplus pitons, carabineers and the newly invented nylon rope. Alongside a developing skill base within the country this enabled the growth of the sport.
1922. Summer: Wall-End Farm, Langdale, with ascents of ScaFell, etc., and rock-climb on Little Gully, Pavey Ark. 9th Cambridge
1928 Cumberland C T Wood’s album
1950 5th and 7th attended Climbing Course held by DC of Llanberis.
1950 The first record of rock climbing from the 5th Cambridge Senior Scouts, in Edale
Talk on Caving for Senior Scouts by Myles Burhilt
1969 £8 to Venture Scout abseiling rope
1969 £25 to climbing wall committee ‘the climbing wall was constantly used by Scouts for training’ District Minutes
1969 Climbing wall at Lime pit closed
1972 Climbing wall fund to be donated to a wall in conjunction with the sports hall (Kelsey Kerridge was built between 1971 and 1975 with an external climbing wall).
1972 ‘SJC Climbed Ben Nevis’ District Minutes (Sir John Cockcroft VSU)
Wall End Langdale camp 1922
JWR Archivist Oct 2019