Cambridge District Scout Archive
This list is not complete but a starting point for later discoveries.
The Troops that listed as Sea Scouts fall into two sets, the Schools and the Town. The 5th and 60th were School based; the 1st, 12th, 29th – 29th/42nd and 25th the longest of the town groups. See Sea Scouts in Cambridge for all the groups listed.
|12th Cambridge||Behind Portland Arms Chesterton Road||1955 – 198_|
|Banham’s Boat Yard||1922|
|Cambridge Scouts’ Boat Club||Queens’ College Boat Club (loan of equipment)||1923|
|King s College Boat Club (demolished for Elizabeth Way)||1960’s – late 60’s|
|Banham Middle Yard||until 1971|
|Banham Upper Yard (courtesy of Pye)||1971 – 1975|
|26th||Scudamores Boat Yard||1938|
|51st (later Whittlesford)||?|
|60th||Banhams Boat Yard working with 1st and 12th||1947 –|
|1st Cambridge||Pococks Boat Yard||1913|
|32 Banham Moat Yard, Ferry Path||1919|
|University Boat House, Ferry Road||1971|
|32 Cam Road Yard||1937|
6/6/1913 Cambridge Sea Scouts opened their new Headquarters at Pocock’s boat yard. It consists of two capital rooms like cabins on board ship one fitted up as a workshop, the other containing various games. They also launched their new boat, named the Albert, built of pine and elm with six oars and a mast, capable of carrying 10 boys. Cambridge Independent Press
Pocock’s became Banham’s c 1927. Banham had several sites and the dates and locations are not always clear.
JWR Archivist Oct 2020