Cambridge District Scout Archive
1911 – 2005
The following is taken from letters to County Secretary (Prof.) Patrick Duff. He was County Sec from 1945/6 to 1974 and details of these Cambridge Districts have not been retained by other Cambridgeshire Secretaries within Cambridge District Archives.
In 1948 it was confirmed or agreed that warrants be passed directly to Cambridge and Newmarket Districts and those of South Cambs., West Cambs., March, Wisbech and Ely go through PD. There is some peripheral mention of Cambridge or County material, and a few about Newmarket.
The dates do not suggest the founding date for each group but the dates in which they were mentioned. All they give is a date at which it was active.
March & District / March & Whittlesey – March & District+Whittlesey and District (later Whittlesey and Thorney)
1947 Wisbech or Wisbech District or Wisbech and District – a note of 1947 by P Duff’ I neither know nor care’, which is a little direct for him.
1956 From 1956 March & District to be March & Whittlesey (Commissioners District) with two Local Associations, March & District and Whittlesey and District.
1957 Whittlesey & District 1957 being:
- 1st Whittlesey
- 1st Coates (Holy Trinity)
- 1st Turves (not yet registered)
1957 March & District 1957 being:
- 1st March
- 2nd March
- 3rd March (St John’s)
- 4th March (Our Lady & St Peter)
- 1st Chatteris 1933
- 2nd Chatteris
- 1st Doddington
1961 Registration as March & Whittlesey, Local Association Whittlesey & Thorney with four groups – not noted (21.7.1961)
1968 1st Whittlesey transferred from Whittlesey & Thorney LA (which no longer exists) to March LA. W & T held final meeting 12/6/1968. Lack of leaders. Only the one Gp. Described as autonomous part of March District.
(It is not known at what date Whittlesey and District became Whittlesey & Thorney LA.)
Groups from both Districts being (note 1st Chatteris not mentioned in PD records)
- 1st March 1927 1949 1950 1953 On 9/6/1949 14 No. warrants inc GSM Goakes and two of his family 1969 ‘73
- 2nd March 1953 1966 1968
- 1st Coates (Holy Trinity) 1953 1957
- 4th March (Our Lady) 1953
- 5th March (Salvation Army) 1957 1962
- 1st Doddington 1955 1968
- 1st Whittlesey (St Andrews) 1958 1966
- (Dropped St Andrews 1957 – still quoted ’66))
- 3rd March (St John’s) 1970
- 1st Benwick 1961 (between March & Whittlesey – an irregular founding)
- 1st Turves (Pack) 1957
- 2nd Chatteris 1965/7 1968 1973
DC Douglas Richmond 10/57
Became Fenland in 2005
JWR Archivist Mar 2023