Cambridge District Scout Archive
The All Saints Troop (8th Cambridge) failed at some point between 1923 and 1929. A new group (29th Cambridge) was founded in 1928 and the irregular surviving copies of the Parish magazine record Scouts in 1930, but without detail. The available magazines from 1934 onwards record Wolf Cubs, Scouts and Rovers.
The GSM was R H Cook and the Rover Den was at the top of the Parish Hall. A concert was held in 1935 ‘We liked best Mr. Hubert Gidney’s solo rope spinning to the tune of ‘Old Faithful’. Mr. Newell of Addenbrookes Hospital was SM and J R Lawton of Fitz William House ASM. IN 1936 they won the boxing. A pack was running, Miss Elsie Swatton as Lady CM replaced Mr. T Mole.
In June 1936 the magazine reports and accidental meeting on Waterloo Station with Chief Scout Lord Baden Powell. He talked with them and joked with the boys.
By 1938 the Troop was receiving a talk about ARP (Air Raid Precautions) and volunteering – probably as messengers. In June 1939 it is recorded that ‘The Scouts under Mr. Thurbon’s elder brother seem to be reviving their activities. Presumably some problems had arisen, either of a gap in leadership or a move to cadet corps, although this is possibly a little early. The ‘old scouts are sticking loyally to the troop’. Thurbon senior was SM, Leslie Neal ASM. By December 1939 the DC Howard Mallett was looking after the troop.
In May 1941 Mr Halstead was ‘making good progress with the scouts’, Miss Dilley was CM. They camped at Bury St Edmund. The national registration of all 16 -18 year old in January 1942 was recorded as a potential
As had occurred with amalgamations or retitling when the Troop was the 8th Cambridge, the amalgamation with the 42nd Troop was not recorded in the Parish magazine. The change in scarf, location and leadership were omitted.
The troop camped in 1943, 24 campers with three boats, and the Cubs camped at Abington.
It was in this year that the first draughts of the stained glass window to be erected in the Church were made, although the model and scarf were from the donor’s troop, the 12th Cambridge.
See Stained glass Scout
The Parish magazines are not available after 1943.
The connection with the church was broken by the Churchwarden in 1945 when the troop was without a leader and the troop ill regulated. The disassociation was confirmed in a letter of 1946 and the combined troops/ packs resolved in 1950 when the 29th became the 29th (East Barnwell). The 29th Cambridge persists with this number.
JWR Archivist May 2022