Cambridge District Scout Archive
Cambridge Scouts engaged in two World Wars and many lesser conflicts and it is not surprising that some became prisoners of war. These men, ex Scouts and Scouters from Cambridge District, generally slip into obscurity – confinement generally limits the behaviour that feeds the standout stories offered elsewhere on this site.
POWs were not included as a separate category in the post WW2 collection of war roles. See Local History/ WW1 WW2/ Colection of war service details 1945. Individuals were presumably counted in the numbers by service.
This record will grow as more come to light. It is currently divided into two parts, WW1 and WW2 as these are the wars with known POWs. No year has passed since the start of Scouting in which British Troops have not been involved in a war or action.
The following is a list; some have pages which give fuller details
- Bernard Porter Luscombe SM 3rd Cambridge See People/ Individuals/ Early Warrants/ Tales from Early Warrants Attempted escape.
- W Shaw Possibly Cambridge Scout Died in Germany hands
- A H S Coombe Tennant See People/ Individuals/ Cambridge Scouters Escaped from Oflag VI B and returned to the UK. 53rd Cam 1933
- H Gordon Listed in an incomplete card index as H Gordon (Germany, nr Hanover) he is assumed to be a POW.
- Bilbey SM POW Japan
- Leslie John Collis POW Japan See Local History/ WW1 WW2/ Collection of war service details 1945
- Samuel Wilfred Whitley POW Japan Died of cardiac beriberi (brother of TLW) 28th Cambridge)
- Thomas Leonard Whitley POW Japan (brother of SWW) 28th Cambridge)
JWR Archivist Jan 2020