Cambridge District Scout Archive
Peterborough was part of Northamptonshire County between 1910 and 1912. Huntingdonshire/ Hunts and Peterborough split into E, W and S Hunts at different times, the boundaries altering, the three divisions not necessarily existing concurrently.
1965 Local Authority Huntingdon and Peterborough were amalgamated as a Local Authority
1966 Scouts Hunts and Peterborough amalgamated by 1966
1973 Scouts East Cambs ‘agreed to keep Newmarket in ‘Scout County’ although now in Suffolk.
1974 Local Authority ‘Huntingdon and Peterborough’ joined ‘Isle of Ely and Cambridgeshire’
1977 Scouts Creation of East and West Cambridgeshire Cambridge became East Cambs. without apparent changes to borders. Huntingdon and Peterborough became West Cambs.
1990 Scouts East and West Cambridge Scout Districts amalgamated on 01/02/1990 to become Cambridgeshire Scout County
Note on badges: Ken North states in 1975 that the Cambridge badge first came in to being in 1926 ‘about this time’. He is clear that the design had not changed, ‘only the size, location and the position for wearing until when the new County was formed in 1960’s when we became East Cambs and the wording duly changed.’
JWR Archivist Jan 2019