22nd Cambridge (Holy Trinity) Outline

Cambridge District Scout Archive

‘Our Scout’s Chatter and Cub’s Growl’

This important Troop held a central place within Cambridge District for twenty years. Holy Trinity was a very active church with many activities locally and internationally.

The Scouts held a Scouts Own, possibly once a week, at 91 Kings Street alongside Thursday evening meetings for Scouts and Rovers and Wednesday evening meetings for Cubs.

The 22nd Cambridge has only ever been ‘Holy Trinity’; another Group, the 29th/42nd, later the 42nd, took the name Holy Trinity in 1941.


The Troop was first mentioned in a list from this year although the first known registration is in 1918.  Late registrations were not uncommon during the war, the local acceptance into the District being informal or the records lost.


At the 1917 B.-P. Rally the troop provided ‘Stretcher Drill’ which was ‘very smartly done’.

1918 – 1935

The Troop was registered in this year.

The first mention of a Cub Pack is in this year.  Not registered until 21/3/1922 (as IHQ 292) and again in 21/11/1924 with a different IHQ number (7301) they were last recorded in 1935.


Reveille! a single issue magazine of January 1920 from the District gives

22nd (Holy Trinity). This Troop, at inspections, strikes one as happy and well disciplined: their knowledge of Scoutcraft is very fair. We expect them to boom with their wealth of S.M.’s.
Best wishes to Mr. Potter on his wedding. The Scouts have been most useful in Parish stunts: two of them had the luck to be in at the fire on Newmarket Road. Like the 11th, they are giving three Scouts to our Band.

The three may include A Barlow who was named as a Band Instructor.


This year a Rover Crew were separately registered 18/10/1920. Rovers were only returned in the 1921 and 1929 District census.  The entry below to twelve Rovers in three patrols of Rovers may refer to a link to University Rovers, not registered with the troop.


Re-registered at the first national registration with National IHQ number 918.

Taken from a photograph, one of a series in the local press, we have the following leaders.  Claude Walker joined Scouting in 1910 and was to continue until, as District President, he died in 200

  • T M Garaway                          SM
  • C J (Claude) Walker                ASM
  • WL Anderson                           Chaplain          DSC

In this year a troop magazine ‘The Doings’ was produced by the Court of Honour.

Much of the following comes from the Parish Magazine.   The Parish Magazine of 1922 -1923 gives sufficient detail to suggest how successful it was prior to this date to be able to send out active Scots and Scouters into the District. In 1922 the SM was C J Walker, later District President until 2002.


The reports had now become more regular and the title, above, used to headline the paragraph.

C J Walker met Lady BP at her Queens’ College visit of 1922 and was later that year elected to the District Executive.

A poor photograph shows the Scouts and Guides lining the road at the opening of the Memorial shelter.

They held an entertainment at the Mission Hall with E A Taverner MC at the piano. Troop Chaplain was Rev H K P Smith.

It is of note that Rover Scout E Holman became ACM in the 17th Cambridge (Catholic) Troop


  • C J (Claude) Walker                SM
  • Mr. P Sands                             CM
  • A Barlow                                 ASM
  • Lt. W Buswell                          ASM   representative on Church Council

Troop HQ 91 Kings Street


  • A Barlow                                 TL

 Rovers were only returned in 1921 and 1929. 


A note of April 1922 says ‘The troop still exists and is going strong’ which suggests that it was not regularly publishing reports. Either the magazine had faltered or the SM had fallen into the habit of not forwarding reports to this full and active magazine. They reported 12 Rovers in three patrols attended the District Church parade at St Botolph’s and were visited by the new CC Capt. Bendyshe of Barrington Hall.


7 members attended the Prince of Wales Rally at Alexander Palace.  It is recorded that five members of the troop ‘rendered invaluable service staying until 1.30 AM at a fire in Cherry Hinton.  Last winter four of them attended special instruction at the Fire Station.’

 A poor photograph shows the Scouts and Guides lining the road at the opening of the Memorial shelter.

In October 1922 9 Scouts were to help at the Mammoth Show

ASM Blows lent to the Caius Troop. 


They hosted the 8th for ‘an amusing bunfight’.

  • A Barlow listed as Instructor


  • R S Dye                                    Rover
  • N V Halward                            University Rover
  • C D Kirkham                            University Rover
  • A F Riddle                                University Rover
  • R H Slater                                University Rover
  • P P R Nicholas                         University Rover
  • R C Blows                                ASM

The reason for the plethora of University Rovers is unclear

A camp is reported in September edition and another at Santon Downham in October.

A new Cub pack would be formed under

  • Mr Treborth- Jones

November 12th 1924 is given as the 9th anniversary, which suggests a start date of 12th November 1915, in line with the first mention of the troop in general District lists.


  • C J (Claude) Walker                SM
  • W A P Fisher                            University Rover


  • Fred W Parfitt                                     ACM
  • C J (Claude) Walker                SM   &   DSM



Meeting at the Trinity Parish Hall with Maroon scarf

  • C. J. Walker                             GSM
  • A Barlow                                 CM  ASM
  • Rev EW Buswell                      Hon SM
  • Rev T M Garaway                   Hon SM


It is recorded that the group was not registered this year ‘owing to lack of recruits’.  The last census returns were 1933

It was agreed that the number 22nd should be held for the sole use of Holy Trinity

The flag of the 22nd is retained in the District Archive Collection.

See: General History/ Equipment/ Flags

Note on the 42nd Holy Trinity

This Group started in 1930 as the 42nd Cambridge (St Barnabas), changed to 42nd (Grafton Street) in 1936 and merged with the 29th as Holy Trinity in 1941.  The 42nd pack took a slightly different route and gave up their registration to join the 29th /42nd Holy Trinity Group in 1947.  In 1950 the 29th and 42nd separated and the 42nd were Holy Trinity, meeting in Trinity Church Hall. 

The 22nd Holy Trinity and 42nd Holy Trinity do not appear to be linked by personnel.

JWR Archivist May 2022