The following shows the changing nature of Cambridge District. Designed to be read alongside the notes beneath it most clearly shows the 1983 split into Cambridge North and South at which so many records stop.
The names change, in particular the Camb/ Cambs. abbreviation is a source of uncertainty. The earlier South Cambridge(shire), North Cambridge(shire) add to this confusion, as does the two incarnation of Mid Cambs.
1910 First District in the region with other Districts forming and some groups being reallocated
Troops from Cambridgeshire, some of which may were allocated to Cambridge as the premier working District in the County, gained their own Districts. Until 1911 there was no County organization.
1922 Working as four sub districts N, E, W, S (details unclear)
1934 Working as Sub Districts
- South Cambs. 25th, 40th, 47th, 51st , 52nd, 56th, 61st, 1st District, 3rd District, 4th District , 17th District
- North Cambs. 16th, 32nd,43rd, 45th, 46th, 57th, 58th, 59th, 64th
- Cambridge not listed
1935 Became separate Districts (North Cambridge initially became East Cambridge then Mid Cambs.)
- South Cambs. 25th,40th, 47th, 51st, 52nd, 56th, 61st, 68th, 69th 1st, 3rd, 4th District
- West Cambs. 39th, 50th, 62nd – these three soon close, 17th District (Barton) to South
- Cambridge 2nd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 26th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st, 36th, 41st, 42nd, 53rd, 60th, 64th
- East Cambs. (Mid Cambs.) 16th, 35th , 45th , 59th, 63rd, 65th, 67th, 66th
1946 Regained 16th, 45th Landbeach, Cottenham, Swavesey, Bottisham VC, Impington VC
1972 Working as N and S Sub Districts
1974 Working as N and S and Crafts Hill Sub Districts
1983 Became separate Districts
- North Cambridge 1st, 3rd, 10th, 12th, 14th, 18th, 26th, 32nd, 50th, 54th, 1st Coton
- South Cambridge 4th, 5th,7/23rd, 11/9th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 57th,
- Crafts Hill 1st (Histon, Over, Bar Hill, Bourn, Willingham, Caldecote, Elworth and Boxwell) 2nd Cottenham, Oakington, Swavesey, 6/17th Cambridge, 48th Cambridge
A number of events continued to be arranged between the three Districts; Gang Show, Swimming Gala and both Perne Road and the Scout Shop.
2001 North and South Cambridge re united (24/5/2001) At this point the Groups were
- North Cambridge 1st, 3rd, 12th, 14th, 18th, 26th, 32nd, 50th, 54th
- South Cambridge 5th,7/23rd, 11/9th, 13th, 16th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 57th, 1st Fen Ditton
2012 Gained from Granta
- To Cambridge Shelford and Stapleford, Duxford, Sawston
- To Newmarket Balsham, Linton and Abington
- To Royston Harston, Orwell, Bassingbourn (which did not persist)
JWR Archivist Mar 2019