Cambridge District Scout Archive
Two important Groups used this number, both for a short period of time.
- 51st Cambridge Whittlesford 1932 – 14495
- 51st Cambridge Girton 1948 – 1953 26641
- 51st Cambridge Histon 1953 – 1958 26641
51st Cambridge Whittlesford 1932 – 14495
Registered 9th April 1932 the Group moved to South Cambridgeshire District at the four way split of the very large Cambridge District in 1935. At this point records stop being collated by Cambridge District.
They returned Census figures for
- Cubs 1934
- Scouts 1932 – 1934
- Rovers 1934
They met at ‘The Guard Ship’ Whittlesford Lodge and were Sea Scouts. Rovers were to meet at The Den, Post Office and Cubs at The Lair Whittlesford Lodge.
- C L Cockle GSM
- C N G Orton ASM
- Rev H A S Pink RSL
- Mrs L R Cockle CM
- Miss J Beasley ACM
- A g Weaver ASM Jesus College
- Miss E M Merry ACM
- C N G Orton Hon ASM
A very active and successful group only briefly part of Cambridge District and, as such, with little information available to this archive.
See also Local History/ Outstanding events/ 1937: Goodson Watch
51st Cambridge Girton 1948 – 1953 26641
The Girton group was founded in Mid Cambridgeshire District, one of the four districts formed from the very large Cambridge District in 1935. Mid Cambridgeshire District stuttered during WW2 and was taken back into Cambridge District and on this move becoming permanent the Girton was registered as the 51st Cambridge on 7th November 1948. This new group registered a Rover Scout in 1949, probably a helper/ leader from one of the established Cambridge Crew.
Census returns give
- Cubs 1949 – 1950
- Scouts 1949 – 1953
- Rovers 1949
It was meeting on the Village College Ground at Histon for some of this period. The 56th Impington amalgamated with the 51st in 1949 or 1950. On 8th March 1953 51st Cambridge (Girton) became 51st Cambridge (Histon). Later in the year a new 10th Cambridge (Girton) Group opened.
51st Cambridge Histon 1953 – 1958 26641
A straight continuation of the Girton Group it participated in the 50th Anniversary event on Midsummer Common in 1957.
Census returns give
- Cubs 1955 – 1984
- Scouts 1953 – 1984 when records end
The Group changed its name in 1958 to 1st Histon. The Group once again stepped out of Cambridge District when the Cambridge District split into three in 1984. It joined and remains a part of Cambridge: Crafts Hill District.
JWR Archivist Sept 2022