Cambridge District Scout Archive
‘tested the minds of the villagers‘
The records for this troop are sparse. The following is from books by E F B Macalister and R B Knox.
The Scout Troop is mentioned as gaining 26 members in its first year 1911, camping at Hauxton House Farm in 1913 (19 No.) and later camping alongside the Perse at Houghton Mill.
It is given, somewhat ambiguously, that on camping at Hauxton ‘the Scouts ‘ tested the minds of the villagers and were assured that out occupation of the district was not likely to be disrupted’.
They survived the war ‘under the eager leadership of Mr. J Stanley Ellis’. Mr. Ellis was a medical student, Miss Laidlaw was Lady CM. Miss Laidlaw was District Badge Sec fr many years. The Church supported the York Street Mission which also had a short lived Troop.
Reveille! a single issue magazine from the District gives
14th (St. Columba’s) The Troop owes everything to Erie Curwain who won the Cornwell Badge 18 months ago, and to their fairy godmother, Miss Laidlaw. Now they are going ahead under S.M. F. Balfour-Melville, who has started a Rover Patrol, to which we wish all luck. Mr. Edge was back with them for a few months. The Curwain tradition of camping hasn’t been allowed to lapse: they had week-end Camps every month last spring; and they finished up last term with going to Babraham. They are also fairly successful in revising elementary work by inter-Patrol competitions.
See also Eric Curwain.
A strong Pack and Troop, but without many archive details.
JWR Archivist May 2022