Cambridge District Scout Archive
- Cambridge District troops are those outside Cambridge Town boundaries. Some troops altered from Cambridge District to Cambridge as the boundaries altered. This system ended in steps between 1928 and 1935 and all roups used Cambridge numbers.
- Packs were not formally attached to troops until the move to the Group system in 1928.
- Many of these District troops are poorly recorded.
Fulbourn Chronicle reports on 9th October 1914 a meeting at the Assembly Room 50 boys joined the Boy Scouts. In December a investiture was carried out in the Church.
They are not reported during WW1, the local Girl Guides get some references in these years.
Fulbourn is mentioned in July 1919, as defunct. It may have failed during the war. It is not named in the 1920 District review ‘Reveille!’ but they were acting as Guard of Honour in May 1920 with the Scout Master SM Beard at the new War Memorial.
- 1st Fulbourn (18th Cambridge District) Open 1922 10758
Headquarters Fulbourn Rectory later the Haven, Fulbourn
- SM Rev T H Hennessy Rectory
- ASM Arthur F G Coe
- ASM SM Miss Joyce Chambers The Haven Fulbourn (jJune 1927)
- ASM J H Rogers Mangle Arms Fulborn
- Chaplain Rev T H Hennessy
It was noted on the 1922 re-registration (in this order on the 1922 registration form) that it:
- Restarted May 1922
- Registered Ex. Dec 11 1922
- Re registered Assoc 7th March 1921
Started with about 14 tenderfoots and 2 leaders
It is formally recognized as being in existence in 1921, with a number – 18th Cambridge District. It had the Imperial HQ number of 10758, a dark blue scarf with a green triangle.
In 1924 and 1926 the scarf was just listed as blue.
It certainly ran until 1925 and recorded census numbers in the years 1922 – 1925. Census numbers are available from 1921 and usually lag a year.
- Arthur F G Coe ASM Oct 1923
- J Henry Rogers ASM Oct 1923
- Rev T H Hennessy SM Nov 1923
- A Coe SM May 1924 (possibly a newspaper error)
- Miss Chambers SM July 1924
Miss Chambers was a Sunday School teacher in 1920 and took the role whilst both Mr. Coe and Rogers were in role. The Troop had a bugle band (1924). Last known local report Nov. 1927 but it had dropped from the 1925 – 1926 Annual report (published early 1927).
See Structure/ Troops and Groups/ Villages/ Fulbourn
JWR Archivist Jan 2023