Cambridge District Scout Archive
IHQ number 6438 later 7386 – later Group number 7578
Based at Windermere School (later known as Claremont School) in Hartington Grove the pack is registered from 1918 until 1928 when the Group system came in.
It was a school based Pack and whilst overspill from Morley School were taught in the Free Church next door, and Morley had a pack of its own, no links have been made.
The school was a small private school originally built in the grounds of The Vale on Cherry Hinton Road, the land running through to Hartington Grove. Run by Miss Grace E Gamlen, one of five daughters, from 1914. It had c.37 pupils in 1920’s.
Registration Form of 23/10/1923 gives IHQ 6438
Windermere House School Pack (C Cambridge), Windermere House School, Cherry Hinton Road
Controlled by Miss Garlen
- Cub Mistress/ Brown Owl Vera W Vincent 54 Owlstone Terrace
Listing herself as both Cubmaster and Brown Owl in 1923 Miss Vincent listed 14 Cubs but does not number the Brownies. She was not warranted in 1923. At this date the IHQ number was 6438, the pack was controlled by the school by Miss Gamlen.
One leader and 14 Cubs, presumably also some Brownies.
Registration Form of 3/12/1924 gives a Controlled pack. Now only CM on the form but this may not reflect the mix in school. IHQ 7386, the reason for re registration (and new IHQ number) is not given.
Vera W Vincent
- CM Miss Howes
With one leader and 12 Cubs and a pack registration number of 7386 later records give.
- Mrs. Vera W Vincent CM 1923 Married CM 12th A. Swallow and both moved or retired from Scouting in 1924
- Miss Howe CM 1924 – 1927
- Miss D Hodder CM 1927 – 1928
By 1928 it appears to have been the only lettered Cub pack remaining in the Town (from 7th Annual report), Grantchester remaining in Cambridge District.
The 27th Cambridge Cherry Hinton Road Free Church (labelled Congregational Church on the later map above) were formed in 1928 and lasted a year. The link with C Pack, if any, is not yet clear. No other private school packs remained at this time, although St Colette’s, 24th Cambridge, was formed in 1928. It is not clearly linked to any previous pack.
JWR Archivist Feb 2023