Cambridge District Scout Archive
Scouting for Boys was first published on 24th January 1908.
“A public meeting was held at the Perse School in March 1908 when Sir Robert Baden Powell was present and gave an address on the aims and methods of Scouting. The meeting was well attended by some of the most influential people in Cambridge, and the direct result of it was the formation of several isolated units scattered about the town, chiefly in the form of “monkey patrols”; i.e. small parties of boys who banded themselves together and played at scouting without being under any proper control.’
‘ As time went on gentlemen took these patrols in hand, and several larger troops were formed, on a more secure basis, in central Cambridge, Cherry Hinton and Chesterton, at the Perse and Higher Grade Schools and in connection with the Boys’ Brigade Company.’ Ken North 70 years of Scouting (delivered 1978) and taken from the records compiled by Howard Mallett, long term Secretary 1912 – 1936 and DC 1945 – 1952
March 1908 ‘Baden-Powell addressed a meeting at the Perse School following which isolated patrols were formed in and around Cambridge‘ 5th Cambridge Scouts The first 50 years
30th May 1910 Inauguration of Cambridge and District Boy Scouts Association
Photographs show the 2nd Cambridge camping in the summer of 1908.
During this period Dr W.H.D. Rouse of the Perse School and the Rev. A.S. Duncan Jones, Dean of Caius College successively acted as chairmen.”
‘November 16th 1908. According to Mr Mallett the first Minute Book had the heading “Boy Scout Organisation Committee”. Dr Rouse was appointed Chairman (and) proposed “That those present form the Committee with power to co-opt.” A further meeting was held on December 7th. At this meeting a sub-committee was formed to enquire into the opinion “that some of the Boy Scouts are doing harm to certain companies of the Boys’ Brigade.” A Field Day was arranged for “Boxing Day” for the Local Patrols.’
16th November 1908 The first meeting was held to consider organisation of Scouts 5th Cambridge Scouts The first 50 years
‘At a meeting held on February 15th 1909 when a report regarding Scouts belonging to the Boys’ Brigade and vice versa was made, regulations upon transfers were agreed. Camping Rules were formulated. An age limit was adopted “from 10 years upwards and no maximum age.”’
‘A meeting hold on March 29th passed a regulation “that no scout be allowed to parade in uniform without the consent of his Scoutmaster”, on July 12th “agreed that 28 boys from Cambridge would attend a camp at Hartford. £2 profit from a Promenade Concert was given towards the camp funds.”’
July 26th, “Decided to take a room in Guildhall Place as headquarters of Cambridge Boy Scouts and that 8d a month be subscribed by each troop towards maintenance”.
‘That E Troop having grown in numbers considerably be formed into a separate District and called A division’. (This is the only record of this system of divisions)
30th May 1910 Inauguration of Cambridge and District Boy Scouts Association 5th Cambridge Scouts The first 50 years
The District was registered at I.H.Q. on June 4th 1910.
‘One of the first printed reports of the District dated November 1910 shows the number of scouts as: Cambridge troops 244, District troops 138, total 382. Another report of the same date shows 10 town troops and 7 district troops, the latter including New Cherry Hinton (Blinco Grove), Newnham, Ely, Sutton, Longstanton, Trumpington and Grantchester. ‘
The District ran two numbering systems; Town and District labelled 1st Cambridge and 1st Cambridge District (Balsham) hence the two numbers above. Of the 10 town troops only one is still in existence under the same number; the 13th Cambridge (St Phillip’s).
Cambridge was the first registered district in the region; Newmarket became a District in 1912 and several troops moved into their jurisdiction.
- Dr W.H.D. Rouse of the Perse School Chairman Headmaster of the Perse School from 1902. As a teacher he believed firmly in learning by doing. He was a strong personality, described by the archivist of The Perse School as the school’s greatest Headmaster: “Rouse was strongly independent to the point of eccentricity. He hated most machines, all bureaucracy and public exams”. He stepped away from organisational roles but remained a strong supporter.
- Rev. A.S. Duncan Jones, Chairman Dean of Caius College
- George Stace President Mayor
- F. Howard Marsh, Hon. Col. of RAMC DC Master of Downing
- Norton-Fagge, F. W. L. Fell in the first war Fitzwilliam Hall (?) County school master?
- Symonds F C Fell in the first war Gonville and Caius (?)
- Arthur Gray Jesus College (Master 1912 – 1940)
- Rev Hennessey Dean of Selwyn
- Dr Alexander Wood Emmanuel
- Baron Anatole von Hügel first curator of Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
- Col R T Caldwell Master of Corpus
- Rev B T Dean Smith Supt College Choristers SS
- Rev Mgr Barnes Chaplin to University at Fisher House
JWR Archivist July 2019