Cambridge District Scout Archive
July 1909 ‘publication in July of The Headquarters Gazette. It appeared in a green rough-paper cover, with a design of appalling ugliness, and boasted sixteen pages.’ B-P’s Scouts An Official History
- Headquarters Gazette 1909 – 1923 Monthly for Adult Scouters renamed-
- The Scouter 1923 – 1971 Monthly for Adult Scouters renamed –
- Scouting 1971 – date Monthly for Adult Scouters diminishing to 6, 4 then 3 issues a year with the uptake of electronic media
The Archive holds copies the following copies of The Scouter, reanmed Scouting from 1971.
Jan 1930 – Dec 1992 A very few copies are missing
Donations to complete the series would be very welcome.
The bulk were donated by Professor Patrick Duff and delivered to his University. Some copies were also delivered to Ken North, again at his work address at the University.
The Scouter was the source of policy changes and discussions. It gives a back ground context to the local events that are the focus of this site. When the warrants sheets remain with the edition they are particularly useful. These stopped at WW2, and generally get lost. The Rolls of Honour are another source of information as are St Georges Day awards.
The change in covers found in the Archive collection are shown below.
JWR Archivist May 2020