Cambridge District Scout Archive
Houghton Hall is quoted in several Scout references as a meeting place. The OLEM History (below) explains the story of the building. One section served as the men’s clubroom and the remained as a hall for the school and parish organizations. It served as the home for the revived 17th Cambridge (Catholic) Troop and later the Wolf Cubs.
It is given as being in use as ‘Houghton Hall’ between 1920 and 1936 in this history but is very clearly recorded as being the site of the first named Cambridge ‘Gang Show’ in December 1937 in Union Road. It is possible that it was still available for use at that time although the parish had moved to other premises or a later building was given the same name.
- First Eastern General Hospital 1914 – 1920
- Houghton Hall Union Road (off Hills Rd) Rectory Gardens of OLEM 1920 – 1936/7?
- St Laurence’s High Street Chesterton 1939 – 1956
- St Vincent de Paul Ditton Lane 1956 – date
History of St Vincent de Paul, Ditton
The present building started life as part of the First Eastern General Hospital on Newmarket Road. At the end of WWI, a number of prefabricated war-surplus buildings were being disbanded. A benefactor, Baron Anatole Von Hügel, paid the cost –said to be £250 – and it was moved to the Rectory garden (now St. Alban’s School) in 1920, and named Houghton Hall. It served the Parish there until 1936.
In 1939, it was re-erected in High Street, Chesterton and named St. Laurence’s. Following the opening of a new St. Laurence’s Church on Milton Road in 1958, the ‘tin tabernacle’ was moved over the river and re-erected on Ditton Lane. For many years it was in a very precarious condition, until Mgr. Anthony Philpot invited the then Parish Architect to provide a design for re-ordering. “The result was a dramatic and wonderful transformation. By turning everything round ninety degrees a quite different ambience for worship was created, and … it signalled a significant revival in that community’s life” (Modern Times,1960 – 1990, by Mgr Anthony Rogers in: Catholics In Cambridge, edited by Nicholas Rogers, 2003).
Baron Anatole Von Hügel was also an early member of the District Scout Committee.
It is named after St John Houghton, the first martyr of the English Reformation.
JWR Archivist May 2020