Cambridge District Scout Archive
The Hele Trophy has come to light, hidden in plain sight in the County Offices. Enscribed
it is a carved stave with the winners placed on individual engraved plaques around the shaft.
The third Annual camping competition was held … at Abington. Three patrols took part … representing Cambridge, South Cambs and Mid Cambs local associations. The winners were presented with the Hele Trophy, a handsome Scout staff totem pole carved by Don Potter of Gilwell and presented by Dr T S Hele, Master of Emmanuel College and President Of Cambridgeshire Boy Scouts Association.
It would appear that this event in July 1939 was not recorded on the staff. It was won by the 11th Cambridge. The above record is in the 13th Cambridge archive, but the competition was run by A J Covell who was past SM of 13th and it is very likely his photoalbum that is now held by the 13th.
The Hele Trophy was for the Camping conducted with the best Scouting spirit ‘To encourage good camping and enjoy it’. Described as a carved totem pole in one report it is the size of a thick stave and carved in an exotic wood. The first plaque is an introduction. It was first awarded in 1937 and 1938. (See above for 1939) After the war it was again awarded from 1949 to 1980.
|1937||Peewit||12th Cambridge||Viscountess Clifdens Own|
|1938||Hawk||7th Cambridge||County School|
|1956||Swift||10th Ely||Kings School|
|1966||Peewit||1st Soham||Grammar School |
|1970||Curlew||3rd Wisbech||St Augustine’s|
|1971||Curlew||3rd Wisbech||St Augustine’s|
|1976||Osprey||3rd Wisbech||St Augustine’s|
|1979||Tiger||1st Fordham/1st Moulton|
|1980||Osprey||3rd Wisbech||St Augustine’s|
From written records I have it in 1950 when it is described as Junior County Camp competition and was won by the 12th at Abington, in this year the County Shield was introduced for Senior Scouts. The junior team with normal camp gear the senior scouts in lightweight camp gear. Senior Scouts were introduced in 1946.
1949 12th Cambridge
1950 Raven patrol PL John Armstrong
1951 12th Cambridge (called it the Junior County Camp)
1975 Best standard of camping, Menus, food storage and preparation, camp gadgets
1979 Stradishall, Mr Rollinsons Farm. County Camp and Hele Trophy.
Named after T. S. Hele, (Thomas Shirley) affectionately known as “Timmy”, Vice Chancellor of Cambridge University 1943 -45 Master of Emmanuel from 1935 to his retirement in 1951.
The name is often given as County Cup’ rather than the Hele Trophy
The attendance of Cambridge District patrols steadily diminished in the latter years of the competition. It is not clear why, the troops had solid camping records throughout these years. The 17th Cambridge (Fox) won the associated Gauntlet in 1970.
JWR Archivist May 2019