Cambridge District Scout Archive
Longstowe Hall 1939 7th Cambridge Whit camp
Briscoe Family. Father W A Briscoe MC, SM and supporter, Lord Lieutenant, son R G Briscoe later County President.
JWR Archivist Sept 2021
The following are local sites offered by leaders and supporters of Cambridge Scouting in the years before 1939. Some are ‘green field’, some increasingly well provisioned campsites set aside for the purpose, such as West Runcton and Abington.
- Toft Manor MacFarlane Grieve 5th
- Longstowe Hall W A Briscoe and in the 1950’s
- Madingley Hall Colonel Thomas Walter Harding
- Abington Cambridgeshire County Scout site from 1932
- Uplands Great Shelford Miss Marguerite de Beaumont 61st
- West Runcton 5th, 9th Church site
- Babraham Hall Charles Adeane Lord Lieutenant Cambridgeshire
- Barrington Capt Bendyshe
- Wimpole Hall In 1919 the 8th, 12th and 25th camped at Wimpole Park ‘by permission of Viscount and Viscountess Clifden. Later that year St Luke’s boys (not clearly identified as Scouts) also camped there under the guidance of a Scoutmaster. In 1924 Hon G Aga Robartes (heir to the title and owner) had opened the ground for a ‘whole day scheme’ for the 5th Cambridge (Perse). There is no record of this continuing at other dates.
- Trumpington Road General Bainbridge’s grounds
- Trumpington Hall Pemberton family Long time supporters of Scouting In 1931 a local Wood Badge course was held at Trumpington Hall, spread over five weekends during May and June
- Holkham Hall Norfolk 7th Cambridge permitted to camp ‘as they were a Grammar school’ 1950’s +