Cambridge District Scout Archive
The earliest list of Troops in Cambridge District is from 1910. Most on the list were founded before that date and some have documented evidence to inform that date.
|1st Cambridge||Formed from Boys Brigade.||1908 (Nov but probably as part of BB before this date|
|2nd||St Marks Newnham Photographic evidence of 1908 camp||1908|
|3rd||St Andrew the Great||closed by 1910|
|4th||Roman Catholic||closed in 1910|
|6th||Higher Grade School||‘by 1910 it could muster a choir..’|
|7th||Barnwell Abbey||open in or by 1910|
|8th||All Saints||open in or by 1910|
|9th||Queens’||1910 – very clear date|
|11th||St Paul’s||Opened 1910|
|12th||Milton Road School||1912|
|1st Cambridge District||New Cherry Hinton (based at St John’s Hills Road)|
It is difficult to see a pattern in the foundation of these very early Troops. The Town of Cambridge was expanding and the Churches of St Mark’s, St John’s and St Phillip’s were all new and probably catering for a greater number of children than the average. St John’s was very aware of the significant increase in the size of the Parish. Milton Road School and Higher Grade School were both innovative new schools and the Perse was under the Headmastership of the unconventional Dr. Rouse. Queens’ College, however, was founded in 1448 and St Andrew the Great was built in 1200.
It is likely that, as with the clear history at Queens’, one enthusiastic advocate picked up the idea and the supporting institution went with them.
Most Cambridge District Troops, those outside the Town boundaries, had village names and not institution names and any pattern is even harder to find.
JWR Archivist Dec 2020