Cambridge District Scout Archive
36th Cambridge (St Andrew the Great)
St Andrew the Great is the only Group to use the name and number 36th Cambridge. It had three iterations, each with different IHQ numbers but, seemingly, the same scarf. For difficulties in descriptions of scarves see General History/ Uniforms/ Scout Scarves
- 36th Cambridge 1929 – 1930
- 36th Cambridge (St Andrew the Great) 1932 – 1947
- 36th Cambridge (St Andrew the Great) 1953 – 1958
No individual records or stories have been located from the Group.
36th Cambridge 1929 – 1930
At the first registration in 15th June 1929 the name St Andrew the Great was not present. The Group, IHQ number 9978, was registered at Grafton Street Head Quarters. It was an Open group and the only name on the registration was
- Harold Edgar Forrest GSM
The Group entered one set of Census returns
- Scouts 1929 It is not clear that this were the same as the numbers given on the registration document of one leader and fourteen Scouts.
36th Cambridge (St Andrew the Great) 1932 – 1947
The 36th was formed as St Andrew the Great on 9th February 1932 with the IHQ number 14621. It was a Controlled group and met at the Parish Rooms.
- Cubs 1932 – 1938 and 1942 – 1946
- Scouts 1934 – 1938
At this point census returns stop for all groups for 1939 and 1940. St Andrew the Great, however, only return numbers in 1942 and for the pack only. It is not clar if the group had a small break or this was an administrative lapse.
In 1935 the 10th Cambridge (Christ’s College Choir) joined the 36th and lost their identity.
Terence Ralph Isaacson joined the 1937 WSJ and was awarded a Gilt Cross in June 1937 for rescuing a woman who was in danger of drowning in the River Granta. He was brother of F E Isaacson CM of 28th Cambridge (St John’s) and later Silver Wolf. The 28th had no Scout troop at this date.
In 1947 the 36th pack joined the 9th and lost their identity. The group ends in 1947.
36th Cambridge (St Andrew the Great) 1953 – 1958
The third iteration, again St Andrew the Great, was registered on 9th February 1953 with a new IHQ number 30382. They meet again at the Parish Room.
- Miss V L? Pratt Scouter I/C
The named Scouter in charge being female would suggest, as the census returns confirm, a pack only for these years.
- Cubs 1953 – 1958
It was listed as closed in 1959.
JWR Archivist July 2022