Scouting In Cambridge University and College Missions in London
Cambridge District Scout Archives
References in the archives to the 1st and 2nd Cambridge University Troops in University Scout documents did not tally with any District troops. These troops were found to be started in the University Mission in Rotherhithe, London and not part of the Cambridge District.
Other Scout Troops attached to Missions and Settlements in London have been identified. The links to Cambridge, Cambridge University and Cambridge Scout District were not initially clear.
Little can be said about the details of these Troops and Groups from the Missions. Cambridge Colleges and Universities had established Missions and Settlements in the poor areas of London and some started Scout Troops. These Troops were not part of Cambridge District or extensions of Cambridge Troops. No active involvement of Cambridge Troops in Cambridge University Missions in London has yet been identified. Mission Troops in London did camp with Cambridge Troops (see Queen’s below). Whilst it is likely that leaders moved between Troops only one name has surfaced, Rev CT Wood of Queens (see below)
Missions also existed in Cambridge such as St John’s Mission York Street which did have a Troop, 4th Cambridge St John’s Mission, that was part of Cambridge District.
Skyblue No 6 1954 Clare College Mission – Rotherhithe… ‘very anxious to restart the Senior Scout Troop. If anyone is going to live in London…’
Skyblue May 1955 Help. A Scouter is needed to restart the 9th Rotherhithe (Clare College Mission) Troop. It is the only troop in the district that has not been restarted since the war.
Skyblue No. 17 1957 Cambridge University Mission in Bermondsey Jubilee year report covering 1st and 2nd Cambridge University Troops 1916 – 1919 (An historical report).
From the numbers of the known Troops the Settlements were among the first to bring Scouting to these parts.
(Skyblue was the University Scouting periodical)
Background: the Mission and Settlement Movement
In the last quarter of the nineteenth century, public concern about the poverty and deprivation in parts of Britain’s inner cities increased. The concept of a University Settlement was a development of a Mission. It was a place located in a deprived area, where rich (volunteer students from the university) and poor would live and socialise together, and learn from each other. Cambridge University and Colleges worked mainly south of the Thames, in the deprived areas in and around Bermondsey. Oxford University and Colleges worked mainly in the East End of London (with a few exceptions).
Cambridge House, the first, had its origins in 1889. By 1910 St John’s, Clare, Trinity, Pembroke, Corpus Christi, and Caius were listed as having Missions in south London, with Queens’, Magdalene, Christ’s and Trinity Hall having clubs or homes there.
Activities which volunteers might get involved with included mothers’ meetings, Sunday Schools, boys’ and girls’ clubs, savings banks, sports teams, cadet corps, drum and fife bands, boys’ brigades and, later, scout or guides.
Cambridge House began life in 1889 as part of the Settlement Movement.
Queens’ House Mission: In 1901 Queens’ College adopted Rev. J.W. Maunders Boys’ Club and formed the Queens’ House Mission. It hosted a Boy Scout troop the 7th Bermondsey and Rotherhithe. This Troop camped in Cambridge and visited Lingay Fen near Trumpington. It was later known as Queens’ House.
Rev V H Copestoke ran the mission from c. 1927. He had been involved in an early 28th Cambridge.
‘The annual Whitsun visit of the scouts from Queens’ House, Rotherhithe, passed off very successfully. Rain on the first two days made camping in the Grove an unpleasant business, but these early sorrows were soon forgotten in the glorious sunshine of Whit Monday. On the Monday afternoon a fleet of scandalously overloaded cars carried the entire party to Lingay Fen, where, under the auspices of the Senior Tutor, a programme of bathing, mud-fighting and eating was successfully carried through.’
[The Cambridge Review, Vol. LII, No. 1289, 1931 June 5, p. 466]
(Dist Minutes 17/6/1938 CC Business (CC. Rev C T Wood) ‘brought a piece of land next to Abington Campsite…and has promised £10 per year on the condition that we invite a Troop from the slums of London to camp at Abington and pay their fares’
Disrupted by the bombing of London ‘Queens House, the college Mission in Rotherhithe, London … was re-opened under a new management in 1941. Before the war the emphasis had been on Scouting, but it is now a mixed Youth club of boys and girls…’
St John’s Mission: Walworth The Mission of St. John’s College, the first such mission of its kind to be undertaken by any Cambridge College
.. Both the Senior and Junior Missioner have been up to visit us this Term: the latter must be congratulated… , upon taking his M.A. degree. Mr Jack Kidd brought up a Troop of the Mission Boy Scouts (the ” Foxes “), who much enjoyed their visit and the kind hospitality of those who entertained them. It did not mar their enjoyment to be beaten at cricket by the College Choir School.
Cambridge University Mission: Bermondsey Colin Kerr, founder of Campaigners, joined the Staff of Cambridge University Mission in 1919 where he ran the Scout Troop.
Clare College Mission: Rotherhithe Also known as Rotherhithe, The Epithany
Trinity College Mission: Camberwell
Pembroke College Mission: Walworth 1885
Corpus Christi College: Camberwell
Caius College: Cambridge House: Walworth Caius College Mission continues to operate as a community education initiative.
Magdalene College Mission Initially took over a boys club.
|St John’s||94th South London (Lady Margaret Troop)|
|Clare||9th Rotherhithe (Clare Archives ref) |
9th Bermondsey (ref The Scouter 1943)
|Queens’||7th Bermondsey and Rotherhithe|
|Cambridge University |
|1st and 2nd Cambridge University Troops |
Note Roland House was the Scout Settlement in East London. It was not directly connected to Cambridge University but based at the home of Roland Phillips a very active Scouter who died in the First World War. He bequeathed his house to the Scout Association.
JWR Archivist June 2019