Cambridge District Scout Archive
Venture Scout names
Venture Scouts ran from 1967 to 2003. Not having located a complete list this is a growing compellation of named Venture Scout Units in Cambridgeshire.
It is a review of the names taken. A list of Cambridge (North and South) VSU’s attached to groups, that is having a Group number, e.g. 14th Cambridge VSU, may be found in the VSU page.
|Sir John Cockcroft 1968 – Cambridge South|
|Tithe 1971 (8?) – 1997 Cambridge South 41636|
|Fulbourn 1980 Cambridge South|
|Salamander 1999 Cambridge South|
|Cam Valley 1975 – 1979 Cambridge North 41524|
|Mullard VSU – 1993 Cambridge North 44752|
|Crafts Hill 1976 – 1981 Crafts Hill 41155|
|Belsar 1982 Crafts Hill 43948|
|Bullocks Haste 1984 Crafts Hill 44433|
|Paddocks 199- 1995+ Crafts Hill 45401|
|South Cambs. 1976 + 1980 -1991 Granta 37922|
|Fleam 1980 Granta 43381|
|Rhee Valley 1980 Granta|
|Ely 1980 Ely|
|Mercian 1980 March|
|Whittlesey 1980 March|
|Crofter (Crofters) 1980 Newmarket|
|Fen Heath 1980 Newmarket|
|Bodica (Boadica) 1980 Newmarket|
|Gog Magog 1988 – 1991 swimming trophy 45055 N C|
|Wisbech 1980 Wisbech 38714|
|+ 1981 Bar Hill (unnamed)|
|Tower VSU 41618|
|Fitzwilliam VSU (Peterborough) 43290|
|Hereward VSU – 1991 (Peterborough) 44942|
|Hyperion VSU – 1992 45231|
|Alpha VSU – 1993 4525|
|Fen Runners VSU|
|1st Hereward VSU|
|Mepal VSU 45448 Cam /Ely 16/10/1991 closed 1997|
- The dates 1967 – or 1967 – 1981 are known dates of start or ending
- The dates 1980 are dates when they have been referenced.
- Districts in brackets assumed
- RA – VEN Committee of Ranger Guides and Ventures coordinating events for the two groups.
The names fall into a number of categories
- Numbers These are not listed here but where a VSU was attached to a Group. This tells of a strong Group and a strong wish to retain a group identity. Certainly the move was towards ‘District’ groups.
- Group names Evident in ‘village’ Groups such as Fulbourn and Whittlesey which stemming from a semidetached Group in a village were unlikely to pull Scouts from other areas.
- District names These VSU’s hold the name of a District: Ely, Hereward, Fitzwilliam, Crafts Hill, South Cambs. and Wisbech. Some uncertainty is raised with the listing of Hereward and 1st Hereward, the latter suggesting a Group name.
- Geomorphologic Based on a physical feature of the landscape, in a region without strong landmarks, they do not carry clear boundaries or historical regional pride. Rhee Valley, Cam Valley, Fen Heath, Crafts Hill. They overlap with physical features that have historic connections. Crafts Hill has now disappeared beneath the new build Bar Hill, but is a centre for a District that wraps around Cambridge.
- Historic names Gog Magog and Fleam are physical features but are given worth by the associated history. Bullocks Haste and Belsar are a connected pair, both being within the Crafts Hill District.
- Historic Individuals Bodica (however it was spelt), Hereward (the Wake)
- Individuals Sir John Cockcroft
- Mythological Gog Magog and Hyperion both stem from the Gods, although the name may have been taken from features that had previously taken their names.
- Mullard A strange category, Mullard Observatory is a man made physical feature in a gentle landscape, named after the company that funded the building of the radio telescopes. The VSU is not named for a person, or a company, or an industry but the very obvious landmark and the associated achievements of the facility. An equally obvious scrap yard would not have been considered.
- Tithe Both the 5th Perse and 7th County Schools were on land that was originally Tithe Farm
- Mercian This is possibly a local name for those from March. It was outside the borders of the Mercia Kingdom.
- Crofter(s) I have no idea
- Paddocks I have no idea
- Fen Runners
- Tower Not clear where this Unit came from
Explorer Scout Unit Names
Cambridge District Scout Archives
Cambridgeshire ESU names as of 2018 – present and past as located
|Avengers – Cambridge|
|Shackleton Explorers – 2018 Cambridge|
|Milton Mud Muppets Cambridge|
|Hitchhikers Whittlesford & Duxford Cambridge|
|Twisted Firelighters ended Cambridge|
|Flamsteed 2018 – Cambridge|
|Panther Crafts Hill|
|Wildcats Crafts Hill|
|Cromwell St Ives Cromwell|
|Nulli Secundi Sea Explorer (Second to none) St Ives Cromwell|
|Ramwell Ramsey Cromwell|
|Alpha 2016 – Fenland|
|StoneX (Stonecross) Fenland|
|Four Feathers Fenland|
|Wombat Orton Longuelle Peterborough|
|Freedom Yaxley Peterborough|
The names fall into a number of categories
- Numbers Not used for Explorer Units in Cambridgeshire
- Group names Although many ESU’s are closely affiliated to Groups the names have not been used with the exceptions of Milton Mud Muppets and on the Peterborough District website which directly links the units to the Groups. Some names for the Peterborough Units attached to these Groups have been identified from old websites.
- District names Only Cromwell uses its District name.
- Morphological No local geographic features have been used. The mountains Everest and Kanchenjunga have been used.
- Historic names Reference to Fen Tiger from Ely, Stone cross both a location and an historical artefact
- Historic Individuals Only the inspirational Shackleton and Flamsteed have been used. Flamsteed, like the VSU Sir John Cockcroft, has a strong Cambridge link. Cromwell falls into this category by default.
- Individuals None
- Mythological Phoenix, Pegasus and Unicorn have been used; creatures, not as the VSU’s selected, Gods.
- Aspirational Alpha (see also Alpha VSU but no continuity) Nulli Secundi (Second to none)
- Fun Hitchhikers, Twisted Firelighters, Milton Mud Muppets
- Unknown Matrix, Avengers, (TV, Film references?) Four Feathers (Book ref?)
Mercian and Alpha are used by both Ventures and Explorers
JWR Archivist Mar 2019